Crossroads is a video advocacy initiative aimed at developing and strengthening the advocacy and documentation capacity of migrant workers, refugees and stateless persons and their support organizations.
In 2013, EngageMedia collaborated with MalaysiaKini’s Citizen Journalists Malaysia (CJMY) to teach migrant rights activists video production and distribution skills.
Crossroads tells the stories of people who have chosen or been forced to leave their homes. These are not only stories of struggle in a foreign land, but also of resilience and hope for a better future.
The 12 videos in the collection feature the issues and reflections of migrant workers, refugees and stateless people in Malaysia. All the videos have been translated and subtitled through EngageMedia’s Lingua project into English, and are organised in five chapters according to the theme of migration they touch upon.
A Study Guide designed to give context to these videos for use in educational and advocacy purposes, and a DVD pack for screening high-quality versions of all 12 videos with English subtitles and a limited edition colour booklet were made available.
Read relevant blog posts and reports.
Crossroads in Malaysia:
- EngageMedia’s Crossroads workshop takes off in Sabah (September 2013)
- Crossroads in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah (October 2013)
- Crossroads DVD Toolkit Launched in Malaysia (January 2014)
- Discussing Crossroads with Law Students at Universiti Malaya (December 2014)
- The Journey Continues: Crossroads Screening on International Migrants Day 2014 (Dec 2014)
- Crossroads Community Screenings Kick Off in Malaysia (January 2015)
- Malaysian Students Respond to Crossroads Screening (January 2015)
- A Crossroads Screening at Sungei Lalang Sawmill (March 2015)
- A Weekend of Crossroads Screenings with the Nepali Community in Malaysia (April 2015)
- Crossroads at the ASEAN Film Festival (April 2015)
- Migrant Films over Dinner at Kota Kemuning (May 2015)
- A Series of Crossroads Screenings in Sabah (June 2015)
- Crossroads Screening with Malaysian Activists in Penang (June 2015)
- Crossroads: Bringing Migrant Stories to Local Audiences (June 2015)
Crossroads Screenings in Scotland:
Crossroads Screenings in Indonesia:
- Crossroads Screening and Women Migrant Workers Discussion with OBR Indonesia (January 2015)
- Crossroads in Blitar: A (Still) Valid Dream of Prosperity (March 2015)
Crossroads Screenings in Thailand:
Crossroads Screenings in Myanmar:
- Will Myanmar Refugees be Sheltered or Stranded in Malaysia? (August 2015)
- An Introduction to Crossroads in Myanmar (June 2015)
- Crossroads Screening with the Coalition of Burmese Ethnic Minorities (May 2015)
- Bringing Migrant Films to Rural Myanmar (April 2015)