EngageMedia is a nonprofit that promotes digital rights, open and secure technology, and social issue documentary. Combining video, technology, knowledge, and networks, we support Asia-Pacific and global changemakers advocating for human rights, democracy, and the environment. In collaboration with diverse networks and communities, we defend and advance digital rights.
We envision a world where human rights, democracy, and the environment are respected by Asia-Pacific businesses and governments — where civil society meaningfully participates in meeting social and environmental challenges.
EngageMedia was founded in 2005 to develop an Asia-Pacific open source social issue film platform. In the following 17 years, it has evolved to lead and support advocacy on various issues, convening and collaborating with changemakers across the region.
- To create impact through advocacy on digital rights, open and secure technology, and video for change at the social, cultural, and public policy levels
- To help changemakers better advocate for human rights, democracy, and the environment through our various approaches
- To strengthen knowledge, skills, and resources in effective communications and advocacy, digital rights, open and secure technologies, and video for change
- To develop networks and platforms for digital rights, open and secure technology and video for change practitioners
We defend and advance digital rights in the Asia-Pacific, holding governments and corporations to account, and foster civil society collaboration and campaigns.
Visit the Digital Rights program page to learn more.
We help changemakers use video to create more impact by enhancing their knowledge, strategies, technology, networks, and storytelling.Visit the Video for Change program page to learn more.
We help changemakers work in more secure, ethical, and sustainable ways, challenging Big Tech by using, promoting, and developing open source alternatives.
Visit the Open & Secure Technology program page to learn more.
- We equip civil society through training and other educational activities, producing guides, research, and other resources
Network and Field building:
- We foster knowledge sharing and collaboration, expanding our fields of expertise and building our networks’ reputation
Communications and Advocacy:
- We support and engage in advocacy at both the sociocultural and policy levels through video, stories, and other media
- We develop, localize, and engage with platforms, promoting open and secure software and supporting open culture and knowledge
We work across the Asia-Pacific, with staff in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, Bangladesh, India, and the Philippines. Meet our team.
We’ve established several key partnerships throughout various projects. For a list of our project partners, see our partners page.
Working at EngageMedia
The Committee of Management (Board)
EngageMedia’s governance is overseen by a Committee of Management, membership of which includes:
- Rachel Maher – Media Development and Communications Consultant
- Malavika Jayaram – Executive Director, Digital Asia Hub
- Enrico Aditjondro – Media and Communications Consultant
- Martin Potter – Researcher and Faculty Member, Deakin University
- Aim Sinpeng – Senior lecturer, Department of Government and International Relations, University of Sydney; co-founder, Sydney Cybersecurity Network; and Thailand coordinator, Sydney Southeast Asia Centre
Full biographies are available here.