EngageMedia is researching and mapping the key digital rights issues, policies, and civil society actors and networks in Indonesia. Working with Dr. Indriaswati Saptaningrum, senior researcher at The Institute for Policy Research and Advocacy (ELSAM), the results will inform EngageMedia’s initiatives to expand and strengthen digital rights advocacy and networks in Indonesia, and support Indonesian civil society more broadly.
The research will explore the following questions:
- Who are the key digital rights actors in Indonesia?
- What are the most pressing digital rights issues in the country (e.g., laws, policies, and practices)?
- What civil society activities have produced significant change?
- What do digital rights actors need to increase the impact of their digital rights advocacy?
- What networks or coalitions have existed or exist now? How have they been successful or fallen short?
By identifying gaps, challenges, and opportunities in the Indonesian digital rights landscape, the research will provide a better understanding of the past, present, and future of digital rights in the country. Research outputs will include an open-access research report, along with a series of blog posts and infographics. We expect to complete the research in April 2021.