This post is also available in: ไทย
Deadline extended for Thai filmmakers: Apply by Monday, April 17, 2023. Applications for filmmakers from the Philippines are now closed.
EngageMedia invites young filmmakers and visual storytellers to produce short films that will raise awareness of internet freedom and other digital rights issues in Thailand and the Philippines. The works produced will be part of the 2024 film collection Tech Tales Youth, which aims to bring in the creative voices of young filmmakers into the digital rights movement, broaden their knowledge of how human rights and digital rights are intertwined, and how they can utilise filmmaking for advocacy.
The Tech Tales Youth program will comprise eight filmmakers between the ages of 18 to 30 who will each produce a five-minute short film on digital rights. In particular, we are looking for documentaries, fiction, animation, and other short narrative video productions.
To apply, fill out the form below by Monday, April 17, 2023, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7). Successful candidates will be notified by April 24, 2023. Selected filmmakers will be awarded up to USD 3,000 each for film production and travel support to the DRAPAC23 Assembly in Chiang Mai, Thailand, and the Philippine and Thailand premieres of the collection in early 2024.
Tech Tales Youth builds on the success of Tech Tales: Films about Digital Rights in the Asia-Pacific, a 2021 collection of eight short films that highlight human rights stories in the digital age. The project has a strong emphasis on mentorship and peer and community support, with successful applicants provided guidance in shaping their story ideas to align with key digital rights issues relevant to their specific contexts, as well as ways to maximise their films’ impact.
Who can apply to be a Tech Tales Youth filmmaker?
- Must be between the ages of 18 and 30 at the time of application
- Must be either a Thai citizen based in Thailand or a Filipino citizen based in the Philippines
- Must be proficient in English
- Must have a body of work with high-production quality and creative appeal
- (For Filipino applicants) Must have a valid passport at the time of application
- Must be available to attend the DRAPAC23 Assembly in Chiang Mai, Thailand, from May 22 to 26, 2023 for in-person mentoring sessions
- Must be willing to work with EngageMedia and the Tech Tales Youth mentors to finalise their films
- Has knowledge or familiarity with human and digital rights issues and is willing to learn more through the mentorship program
- Has existing connections with human and digital rights advocacy groups
- Has an interest in or has previously worked on media freedom and human rights issues
Applicants from marginalised or underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
For more information on eligibility, timelines, and answers to frequently asked questions, check out the Tech Tales Youth project page. For additional inquiries, reach out to EngageMedia Video Manager [email protected].
Apply for Tech Tales Youth
EngageMedia is accepting applications for Thai filmmakers only until Monday, April 17, 2023, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7).