Join the EngageMedia team!
Our dynamic Asia-Pacific nonprofit is hiring a Digital Security Specialist who will oversee and support our initiatives on digital security and safety in South and Southeast Asia. The role will work closely with the Digital Rights Program Manager on increasing the digital security understanding and capacity of civil society in the Asia-Pacific. The role will also work closely with the South Asia Digital Rights Manager (applications currently accepted until April 14, 2021).
We are seeking candidates who are aligned with our organisational goals towards social and environmental justice, and who have experience working with nonprofits. Extensive experience in working remotely and in multicultural settings is a big plus.
The position is full-time and open to anyone based in South or Southeast Asia. You’ll be working with an international team in an agile environment that prioritises a distributed work culture.
Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. If you would also like to apply for a role closely aligned with the Digital Security Specialist, we are also looking to hire a South Asia Digital Rights Manager.
Key Position Aims
- Increase the digital security understanding and capacity of civil society in the Asia-Pacific
- Coordinate the effective implementation of EngageMedia’s digital safety initiatives in South and Southeast Asia
- Raise the profile and importance of digital security issues in the region, including via mainstream communications
Strategy and Design
- Contribute to the strategy development of EngageMedia’s digital security projects
- Manage collaborative design and consultation processes with partners and advisers
- Conduct research and produce short reports as needed
- Assist and provide leadership in developing the broader digital security field in the region
- Lead the management and planning of a variety of consultations, trainings, and meetings
- Oversee project logistics
- Monitor projects’ progresses, including documentation, evaluation, and reporting
- Monitor project spending and work with the finance team to manage budgets
- Maintain and file documentation in an organised and efficient manner
- Develop workplans and timelines, and monitor their progress
- Manage or assist with digital security consultancies, including managing consultants
- Develop contracts and MoUs with partners and consultants
Communications and Engagement
- Work with the communications team to develop and produce media products to effectively communicate digital security issues to civil society
- Conduct outreach and engagement for the produced media
- Manage the localisation of technical tools, media, and training materials into and out of Southeast Asian languages
Outreach and Partnerships
- Develop and maintain partnerships with a range of individuals and organisations working in digital security and safety in the region
- Represent EngageMedia in networks and forums
- Promote relevant materials and publications to civil society
- Support fundraising and partnership efforts, including proposal writing, networking, and managing relationships
Trainings and Events
- Develop and implement digital security networking and learning events
- Directly train civil society members
- Conduct Trainings of Trainers and mentor and monitor participants to implement further trainings
- Design training agendas
- Prepare and compile relevant training and educational resources
- Actively learn from the field, including documenting and sharing relevant knowledge
- Fluency in English and advanced proficiency in at least one South or Southeast Asian language
- Have solid understanding of digital rights and digital security concepts and implementation
- Highly adept and innovative in using current and emerging technologies, especially FLOSS
- High level organisational, interpersonal and motivational skills, especially in cross-cultural environments
- Results oriented with the ability to manage multiple activities and competing priorities
- Motivated, self-organised and active in taking initiative
- High attention to detail
- Familiarity working in online workplaces with decentralised teams
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Minimum undergraduate university degree
- Minimum 4 years experience in a non-profit or advocacy position
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the digital rights field
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to coordinate a team, work under pressure, and deliver on deadlines
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12-month, full-time contract will be offered with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
The annual gross remuneration will approximately be between 22,800 USD – 31,000 USD depending on skills, location, and experience.
The position includes the following benefits:
- Vacation leave
- Sick and carer’s leave
- Public holiday leave
- Bereavement leave
- Parental leave
- Long service leave
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal development allowance
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the Internet, and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers to challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
For more information, get to know the EngageMedia team and read about our remote and distributed work practices.
Please fill in the application form below. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.
Alternatively, you may send an encrypted email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Job Application: Digital Security Specialist” (download the PGP public key here, fingerprint: C0FE FB0B FEAB B66F 933C F277 D77D B164 6389 E4CD), and with the following information:
- Full name
- Link to your LinkedIn profile or website
- City and country of current residence
- Soonest start date
- CV (please attach as a file)
- Cover letter answering the question: “What interests you in working with EngageMedia?” (1,500 characters max, please attach as a file)