EngageMedia is seeking two new board members from (although not necessarily based in) South or Southeast Asia to help navigate the organisation’s future in a time of significant growth and great social and political challenges.
As a result of the global COVID-19 pandemic, the Asia-Pacific is facing some of the deepest disruptions in the past 50 years, as governments and other powerful actors derail open societies and threaten human rights, freedom of expression, and democracy.
COVID-19 is speeding up a democratic regression that has been underway for several years, with Myanmar perhaps the most concerning example.
Media and technology have been vital tools to support civil society efforts to coordinate and advocate; however, these tools are also weaponised to threaten and weaken civil society.
Founded in 2005, EngageMedia is a nonprofit that promotes digital rights, open and secure technology, and social issue documentary. Combining video, technology, knowledge, and networks, we support Asia-Pacific and global changemakers advocating for human rights, democracy, and the environment. In collaboration with multisectoral networks and communities, we defend and advance digital rights.
We are a core team of almost 25, with 10 to 15 regular consultants and contractors. Despite the pandemic, EngageMedia is in a period of significant and sustained growth, adding seven new staff over the past twelve months, with several more in the pipeline. Over the past year, our program scope has also grown to include South Asia.
Read about our current board members here.
Building the Board
We are seeking dedicated and highly experienced people to support the organisation’s mission and programs. Our initiatives range from researching AI and human rights in Southeast Asia, managing an Asia-Pacific platform for documentary film, and leading creative advocacy for digital rights.
As our programs, staff, and geographic scope expand, so too must our Board. We are seeking members from South or Southeast Asia, though you need not be based there. For coordination purposes, the selected person should be no further east than Sydney, and no further west than London.
We hope that being part of the Board will also enable you to expand your networks, contribute your wisdom and knowledge in a place where it will be greatly valued, develop relationships with like-minded thinkers and doers, be part of a creative international organisation working on some of the biggest questions of our time, and have some fun along the way.
- Govern EngageMedia in compliance with its mission, vision, organisational values, and regulations (in line with Australian law)
- Support the sustainability, stability, and reach of the organisation
- Support the development of new areas of work in line with EngageMedia’s mission and business model
- Provide legal, policy, and financial advice and oversight to ensure compliance with laws and regulation
- Support oversight of the Executive Director, appoint staff at the director level, and support annual performance reviews of Directors
- Review and provide advice on strategic plans
We are looking for people who:
- Are independent thinkers open to diverse viewpoints, and are able to respectfully disagree
- Have a strong commitment to freedom of expression
- Have strong knowledge of the Asia-Pacific region and its complexities
- Have strong interest in one or more of EngageMedia’s core issues or work areas, including digital rights, open technologies, human rights, environmental sustainability, and social issue documentary
- Are against discrimination in all its forms
- Have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in management or leadership of a nonprofit, foundation, business, or social enterprise
We are also looking for people with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Governance and board management
- Finance and fundraising
- Organisational design
- Business development
- Strategic planning
- Executive-level leadership and management
- Laws and regulations
- Policy advocacy and legislation
Board membership is unpaid; however, any relevant costs (such as travel for board meetings) are covered.
- Attendance at online quarterly meetings
- 1-2 hours per month of communication (responding to emails, reviewing motions and decisions)
- Ad hoc support and advice to directors
Applications are being considered and evaluated on a rolling basis. Please fill out the form below to apply.
Should you have questions, you may contact Executive Director Andrew Lowenthal.