Cinemata is a platform for social and environmental films about the Asia-Pacific. Cinemata highlights essential yet underheard stories, increasing filmmakers’ reach, engagement, and impact, helping audiences discover thought-provoking videos.
With almost 5,000 films, Cinemata’s contributors and audiences include
- filmmakers and film curators
- journalists and media makers
- educators and researchers
- advocates and activists
- civil society and nonprofit organisations
Cinemata welcomes contributions in a variety of styles and genres, including documentary, fiction, animation, experimental, and more.
We regularly feature and promote great films, as well as highlight key contributors through EngageMedia’s Featured Filmmaker series.
“Cinemata” comes from the combination of “cine”, which means “motion picture”, and “mata”, which means “eye” in several regional languages:
- In Bahasa Malaysia, Bahasa Indonesia, and Filipino, the word for “eye” is “mata”
- In Tetum (East Timor), the word for “eye” is “matan”
- In Vietnamese, the word for “eye” is “mắt”
- In Thai and Lao, the word for “eye” is “ta”
“Cinemata” represents our focus on highlighting Asia-Pacific perspectives and connecting issues, films, and filmmakers in the region.
What makes Cinemata different from other video platforms?
Cinemata has most features expected in a modern video platform, including some still not found in many platforms:
- Download videos in multiple transcoding dimensions (240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p) or in h264, h265, or vp9 profiles, as well as download the original file
- Save videos in a playlist and share them online
- Upload videos in various codecs (h264, h265, mkv), including support for Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD
- Publish videos immediately once approved as a Trusted User (contact [email protected] to apply for Trusted User status)
Curated and Context-rich
While other platforms accept raw clips, Cinemata focuses on self-contained, stand-alone content. We collect and feature videos that
- focus on critical Asia-Pacific events and social and environmental issues
- are well-produced, innovative, engaging, and entertaining
- promote new and underheard stories
Engagement and Impact
More than just watching videos, we want our audiences to engage with social issues and contribute to creating impact:
- to learn more about the issues and contexts
- to share such learnings with peers and communities
- to contribute to wider campaigns and movements
- to become advocates and changemakers
Free, Open Source, and Secure
Cinemata is the result of the redevelopment of EngageMedia’s previous video site, which once hosted the videos in Cinemata today. This previous site was based on Plumi, an open source “video-sharing content management system based on Plone and produced by EngageMedia in collaboration with Unweb.me”.
If you’re interested in Cinemata’s source code, check out MediaCMS on GitHub.
Latest Videos on Cinemata
Vale Gilda Chacón-Bravoby JamieMUA on 27/07/2021
It was with great sadness we received the news in Australia of the passing of comrade Gilda Chacón on the 8th April 2021. Born in the Cienfuegos province on the 4th of February 1960, Gilda was an excellent trade union, community, and communist leader.
Victim Diaries: Mr. Tam, Hong Kongby noelamrc on 23/07/2021
For factory workers with health issues, lockdowns caused by the COVID-19 pandemic have brought about new challenges unique to their situation. In this episode of "Victim Diaries", Mr. Tam shares how he is coping with pneumoconiosis while continuing to work at a jade factory in Hong Kong.