Twelve student films selected as finalists for the Piling Obrang Vidyo XIX (POV XIX) film competition will be available for a limited screening on Cinemata from March 14 to 23. Cinemata is the exclusive screening partner of the annual inter-school film competition for young Filipino filmmakers organised by UP Cinema.
Since 2004, the film competition has highlighted visual storytelling masterpieces by Filipino youth, providing a space for student filmmakers to have their voices heard. In its 19th year, POV XIX remains bold and proactive by encouraging a new wave of young filmmakers to be more truthful and fearless in challenging imperialistic narratives and in remembering forgotten and silenced stories.
The films will be screened at the University of the Philippines Film Center’s Cine Adarna on March 24. Along with the on-ground screening, POV XIX also brings the films online for free through Cinemata, making them more accessible to wider audiences. By providing student filmmakers with spaces to exhibit their films and stories, POV XIX aims to further amplify youth voices with the hope that their work will inspire other budding storytellers.
Check out the links below to watch the films.
Finalists: Narrative Category
- Alingasngas ng mga Kuliglig (The Gossip of Cicadae) by Vahn Leinard Pascual
- Pempem at ang Bomba Magazine (Pempem and the Bomba Magazine) by Migs Ruallo
- Kokuryo: The Untold Story of Bb. Undas 2019 by Diokko Manuel Dionisio
- Itom nga Bugas Kanaryo nga Ugat (Black Rice Yellow Roots) by Leonard Ian Billones
Watch the POV XIX Finalists: Narrative Category
Finalists: Documentary Category
- Ang Paghahanap kay Dalagang Bukid (Looking for the Country Maiden) by Leia Amidala Santos
- Balde at Brotsa by Josh Mutia
- elehiya para sa mga memorya (an elegy for the memories) by Ryan Miguel Capili
- The Secret Band of Thebes by Augustine
Watch the POV XIX Finalists: Documentary Category
Finalists: Experimental Category
- Internal Conflicts of a Machine by Bianca Maxine Villanueva and Rei Cordero
- Mind Body by Josh Van Ulric Campo
- People Fade as Colors Do by Josef Edward Tafalla
- Self-Portrait by Daphnee Gail Ferrer
Watch the POV XIX Finalists: Experimental Category
For more updates on Cinemata’s curated videos, playlists, and featured filmmakers, subscribe to the bi-monthly newsletter here.