Join the EngageMedia team!
Our dynamic Asia-Pacific nonprofit is hiring an Open and Secure Tech Specialist who will coordinate and support digital safety and open technology initiatives in Thailand and the broader Mekong region. This includes training, incident response support, and directly implementing initiatives.
Internally, the position also assists EngageMedia digital safety and open tech team, contributing their expertise and support for organisational security, as well as supporting the maintenance of EngageMedia’s technical systems.
We are seeking candidates who align with our organisational goals of human rights, democracy, and the environment, and who have a background working with nonprofits. Extensive experience in working remotely and in multicultural settings is a big plus.
The position is full-time and open to anyone based in Thailand. You’ll be working with an international team in an agile environment that prioritises a distributed work culture.
The deadline for applications is on Sunday, August 1, 2021, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7). Interested applicants may apply using the form below.
Key Position Aims
- Increase digital security understanding and capacity of civil society
- Coordinate the effective implementation of EngageMedia’s digital safety initiatives
- Raise the profile and importance of digital security issues
- Support EngageMedia’s technical infrastructure so that it operates effectively and securely
- Provide technical and security support to team members on a day-to-day basis
- Implement technical solutions to improve team security, coordination, operations, and program implementation
Strategy and Design
- Contribute to the digital safety program strategy development
- Coordinate collaborative design and consultation processes with partners and advisers
- Lead relevant research and reporting
- Assist and provide leadership in developing the broader digital security field
- Coordinate and plan a variety of consultations, trainings, and meetings
- Coordinate or assist with digital security consultancies.
- Support the maintenance, troubleshooting, and upgrading of EngageMedia computers as needed
- Assist in technical support for EngageMedia team members, including in digital security
- Provide facilitation and design for a variety of trainings, meetings, and discussions.
- Prepare curricula, agendas, and other materials for trainings and other learning events.
- Support others in preparing digital security workshop materials and curricula.
Communications and Engagement
- Work with the communications team to develop and produce media products to effectively communicate digital security issues
- Support the localization of digital safety and tech tools, media, and training materials
Outreach and Partnerships
- Develop and maintain partnerships with a range of individuals and organisations working in the area of Internet, technology, communications and civil society
- Represent EngageMedia in networks and forums
- Promote relevant materials and publications to civil society
Trainings and Events
- Develop and implement digital security networking and learning events
- Directly train civil society members
- Conduct Trainings of Trainers, mentor and monitor participants to implement further trainings
- Support and at times lead the design of training agendas
- Prepare and compile relevant training and educational resources
- Actively learn from the field, including documenting and sharing relevant knowledge
- At least 3 years experience with open source technology and digital security
- High level technical skills including strong knowledge of software development processes and security protocols
- Based in Thailand
- Fluency in Thai language
- Strong English communication skills (written and spoken)
- Experience with localisation projects
- Knowledge of issues on digital rights, open and secure technology, and Video for Change
- Familiarity working with multicultural and decentralised teams in virtual workspaces
- A proactive and growth mindset
- High-level organisational, interpersonal, and motivational skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, willingness to learn new things, build expertise, and develop new approaches
- Ability to take on a variety of deadline-driven tasks with limited supervision
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12-month, full-time, contract will be offered, with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
The annual gross remuneration will approximately be between 15,500 and 21,000 USD, depending on skills, location, and experience.
The position includes the following benefits:
- 4 weeks of holiday leave
- 10 days sick and carer’s leave (with additional 5 days in case of COVID-19)
- 11 days public holiday leave
- 5 days bereavement leave
- 18 weeks parental leave
- 8 weeks paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal and professional development allowance
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the Internet, and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers to challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
For more information, get to know the EngageMedia team and read about our remote and distributed work practices.
The deadline for applications is on Sunday, August 1, 2021, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7). Please fill out the form below to apply.