Join the EngageMedia team!
Our dynamic Asia-Pacific nonprofit is hiring an Open & Secure Technology Program Manager who will work closely with the Executive Director to oversee EngageMedia’s Open & Secure Technology initiatives in the Asia-Pacific. The position leads program planning, designs strategies and activities, manages staff and consultants, builds and strengthens networks and partnerships, contributes to fundraising, and works directly on projects as needed.
The position also works with EngageMedia’s management team, contributing to organisation-level strategy and team effectiveness.
We are seeking candidates who align with our organisational goals of human rights, democracy, and the environment, and who have a background working with nonprofits. Extensive experience in working remotely and in multicultural settings is a big plus.
The position is full-time and open to anyone based in the Asia-Pacific. You’ll be working with an international team in an agile environment that prioritises a distributed work culture.
Applications are now closed.
Key Position Aims
- Raise the capacity of EngageMedia staff and our networks to engage with open & secure technology issues and challenges across the Asia-Pacific
- Facilitate connections among regional civil society, activists, open & secure technology experts, journalists, and other changemakers working on open & secure technology issues
- Lead EngageMedia’s policy development and advocacy efforts in open & secure technology
- Build the reach and the impact of EngageMedia’s open & secure technology program and projects
Program and Project Management
- Lead EngageMedia’s open & secure technology program, overseeing strategy and program design.
- Oversee the program team; monitoring, evaluating and supporting project implementation.
- Provide oversight and direction to program staff.
- Contribute to the leadership and coordination of networks, fostering communication and collaborations.
- Contribute to research initiatives.
- Directly undertake project management.
- Monitor and track project budgets.
- Develop work plans and timelines and ensure they are followed.
- Review and approve invoices and reimbursements of program staff and consultants, and authorise project spending.
- Oversee the development of contracts and MoUs with staff, partners and consultants.
- Contribute to program reports for the board.
- Oversee planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of digital security training, coordinating staff and contractors as necessary.
- Create and maintain curriculum and materials for digital security trainings.
- Where necessary, provide event or training facilitation.
- Actively build the open & secure technology and digital security knowledge and capacity of the EngageMedia team.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to design fundraising proposals and write reports.
- Contribute to EngageMedia’s broader management and planning.
- Produce budgets for fundraising and program activities.
- Develop and manage funder relationships.
- Seek out and manage consulting opportunities. Directly implement contracted activities as needed.
Policy Development and Advocacy
- Craft and deliver key messages to target audiences.
- Lead the mapping of open & secure technology stakeholders in the region.
- Engage with diverse groups of stakeholders, including, but not limited to, standard-setting bodies, civil society groups and actors, activists, journalists and media practitioners, researchers, advocacy groups, government administrators, and elected officials.
- Actively represent EngageMedia in relevant forums and meetings.
- Lead special undertakings, including external advocacy events on open & secure technology.
Partnerships, Outreach and Networking
- Work closely with the communications team to develop and implement outreach and engagement strategies.
- Produce media products to effectively communicate open & secure technology issues.
- Work with the communications team to run open & secure technology campaigns, employing a range of creative media.
- Maintain and develop partnerships with a range of organisations, individuals, networks and foundations.
- Represent EngageMedia in open & secure technology networks and forums.
- Provide advice on EngageMedia’s technology architecture and infrastructure.
- Assist staff with their technology and digital security capacity development and assist with coordinating solutions.
- Assist with technical oversight of the organisations’ technology.
- Manage consultants as needed for any related technical initiatives.
- Record and document tasks in an efficient manner ensuring accurate and timely communication with Management and EngageMedia staff.
- Bring your passions and creative interests to the organisation and assist us in evolving the organisational culture, our expertise and our knowledge.
- Communicate respectfully and courteously with other members of EngageMedia at all times ensuring you listen to, are understanding of, and receptive to other people’s opinions.
- Ensure all work is conducted and delivered according to the processes, standards, technical and management system, and deadlines required by EngageMedia.
- Comply with EngageMedia’s Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other tasks as requested by management that relate to the position aims.
- Contribute to a productive and well-managed working environment for all staff and consultants.
- Excellent management and leadership skills and experience
- Minimum 5 years experience working in technology, digital rights, or a related field
- Content knowledge in open and secure technology issues in the Asia-Pacific
- A strong background in digital security
- Strong English communication skills (written and spoken)
- Strong regional networks
- Familiarity working with multicultural and decentralised teams in virtual workspaces
- A proactive and growth mindset
- Research skills and/or the ability to manage research projects
- High-level organisational, interpersonal, and motivational skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, willingness to learn new things, build expertise, and develop new approaches
- Ability to take on a variety of deadline-driven tasks with limited supervision
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12-month, full-time, contract will be offered, with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
The annual gross remuneration will approximately be between 35,000 and 44,000 USD, depending on skills, location, and experience.
The position includes the following benefits:
- 4 weeks of holiday leave
- 10 days sick and carer’s leave (with additional 5 days in case of COVID-19)
- 11 days public holiday leave
- 5 days bereavement leave
- 18 weeks parental leave
- 8 weeks paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal and professional development allowance
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the Internet, and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers to challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
Our key activity areas are video for change, open and secure technology, and digital rights.
For more information, get to know the EngageMedia team and read about our remote and distributed work practices.
Applications are now closed.