Join the EngageMedia team!
Our dynamic Asia-Pacific nonprofit is hiring a Myanmar Lead who will oversee and lead digital rights and digital safety initiatives in Myanmar. This includes coordinating and implementing training, developing networks and partnerships, project planning, logistics, and assisting with program strategy development.
This position will support civil society in its democracy and human rights efforts, providing top-level coordination, planning, monitoring, contracting, commissioning of content, quality assurance, and networking.
We are seeking candidates who align with our organisational goals of human rights, democracy, and the environment, and who have a background working with nonprofits. Extensive experience in working remotely and in multicultural settings is a big plus.
The position is full-time and open to anyone based in the Asia-Pacific. You’ll be working with an international team in an agile environment that prioritises a distributed work culture.
Applications are being considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants may apply using the form below.
Key Position Aims
- Increase the digital rights and digital safety capacity of Myanmar civil society
- Highlight and do advocacy on Myanmar digital rights and digital security issues, especially to leverage regional and international support
- Enhance knowledge sharing and solidarity between digital rights actors in Myanmar and those in the Asia-Pacific and beyond
- Foster collaboration on digital rights and digital security issues between journalists, academia, lawyers, researchers, media, advocacy, and the human rights sectors
Strategy and Design
- Lead EngageMedia’s digital rights and digital safety program and strategy in Myanmar
- Manage collaborative design and consultation processes with partners and advisers
- Conduct research and produce short reports
- Support the development of the Myanmar Digital Rights field
- Lead management and planning for a variety of consultations, trainings, and meetings
- Oversee project logistics, including consultants and assistant staff, for items including travel and transportation, securing event spaces, fulfilling catering needs and technological support
- Monitor project progress, including documentation, evaluation and reporting
- Monitor project spending and work with the finance team to manage budgets
- Develop work plans and timelines and ensure they are followed
Communications and Engagement
- Develop and produce media products to effectively communicate digital rights and digital safety issues
- Conduct outreach and engagement for the produced media
- Manage the translation and development of media, training materials and software into and out of major Myanmar languages
Outreach and Partnerships
- Develop and maintain partnerships with a range of individuals and organisations working in the area of Internet, technology, communications and civil society inside and outside Myanmar
- Represent EngageMedia in digital rights networks and forums
- Promote relevant materials, software and publications to Myanmar civil society
- Advise the Executive Director and senior managers in fundraising and partnership efforts, including supporting proposal writing, networking, and managing relationships
- Strong management and leadership skills and experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in digital rights, digital safety, human rights, and/or tech
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent communications skills, including in English
- Fluency in Burmese language
- Based in South, Southeast, or East Asia
- Strong English communication skills (writing and speaking)
- Knowledge of issues on digital rights, open and secure technology, and Video for Change
- Familiarity working with multicultural and decentralised teams in virtual workspaces
- A proactive and growth mindset
- High-level organisational, interpersonal, and motivational skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, willingness to learn new things, build expertise, and develop new approaches
- Ability to take on a variety of deadline-driven tasks with limited supervision
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12-month, full-time, contract will be offered, with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
The annual gross remuneration will approximately be between 20,000 and 27,000 USD, depending on skills, location, and experience.
The position includes the following benefits:
- 4 weeks of holiday leave
- 10 days sick and carer’s leave (with additional 5 days in case of COVID-19)
- 11 days public holiday leave
- 5 days bereavement leave
- 18 weeks parental leave
- 8 weeks paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal and professional development allowance
Visa assistance may be provided by EngageMedia as needed, upon approval of management.
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the Internet, and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers to challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
Our key activity areas are video for change, open and secure technology, and digital rights.
For more information, get to know the EngageMedia team and read about our remote and distributed work practices.
Applications are being considered on a rolling basis. Please fill out the form below to apply.