Join the EngageMedia team!
Our dynamic Asia-Pacific nonprofit is hiring an Editorial Coordinator (EC) who will work closely with EngageMedia’s communications team to develop and curate content, support advocacy campaigns, build audiences, and create social impact.
As part of the communications team, the EC does day-to-day creation, publication, and promotion of content on EngageMedia platforms, including articles, research, podcasts, videos, and social media on a range of topics related to our core issues. The EC will particularly focus on content related to Video for Change, Open and Secure Technology, and Digital Rights. The EC should also ensure that they are updated on the latest news and developments in the region, especially as they relate to EngageMedia’s key program areas.
The role has a strong focus on writing, editing, and outreach, with a good capacity to understand and communicate digital rights issues to various audiences.
We are seeking candidates who align with our organisational goals of human rights, democracy, and the environment, and who have a background working with nonprofits. Extensive experience in working remotely and in multicultural settings is a big plus.
The position is full-time and open to anyone based in the Asia-Pacific. You’ll be working with an international team in an agile environment that prioritises a distributed work culture.
The deadline for applications is on Sunday, August 1, 2021, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7). Interested applicants may apply using the form below.
Key Position Aims
- Conceptualise, produce, and revise content on a number of issues related to Video for Change, Open and Secure Technology, and Digital Rights.
- Support and, at times, lead outreach, engagement, media advocacy, and research efforts.
- Implement social and mainstream media engagement plans.
- Build and strengthen content collaborations and partnerships between journalism, human rights, digital, open technology, and digital rights actors.
Content Production and Research Writing
- Produce, curate, edit, and publish regular blogs and articles from EngageMedia’s team and its networks.
- Stay updated on the latest developments relating not only to EngageMedia’s core issues, but also to the Asia-Pacific region.
- Revise, edit, and proofread other materials by EngageMedia and its networks.
- Support the writing and editing needs of research, podcast, video, and other productions.
- Enhance the online presence of EngageMedia’s various networks and platforms, ensuring they are active spaces for engagement on their respective issues.
Engagement and Impact
- Provide support for communications campaigns on EngageMedia’s core issues and assist with distribution and engagement of related media.
- Support targeted outreach and engagement activities to mainstream media, policy advocates, campaigners, social movements, and civil society.
- Implement social media outreach and engagement strategies, including experimenting with a variety of non-corporate promotion and engagement platforms.
- Boost EngageMedia’s profile among Asia-Pacific media outlets and social media.
- Improve content promotion and co-creation by fostering relations and developing partnerships with campaigners, video activists, journalists, technologists, nonprofit organisations, and mainstream media outlets.
- Attend and conduct media and communication workshops on an ad-hoc basis.
- Contribute to the editorial management of EngageMedia and its various networks to effectively communicate and engage audiences with their work.
- Update, improve, and contribute to the EngageMedia contacts database.
- Contribute to the development of communications policy, outreach and engagement strategy, branding and style guidelines, and the organisation’s other quality standards.
- Proofread written English materials prior to publication, including providing ad-hoc support for other EngageMedia projects.
- Support staff to be more effective in their writing, outreach, and engagement efforts.
- Document learnings from our communications efforts via short reports and blog posts.
- At least 3 years experience in journalism and/or communications for advocacy
- Professional-level English (written and spoken), with working proficiency in at least one Asia-Pacific language
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, particularly in breaking down complex concepts and providing nuanced perspectives to Asia-Pacific issues and events
- Expertise in using media and technology for creating social change
- Knowledge of issues on digital rights, open and secure technology, and Video for Change
- Some experience with audio/video production and distribution
- Familiarity working with multicultural and decentralised teams in virtual workspaces
- A proactive and growth mindset
- High-level organisational, interpersonal, and motivational skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, willingness to learn new things, build expertise, and develop new approaches
- Ability to take on a variety of deadline-driven tasks with limited supervision
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12-month, full-time, contract will be offered, with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
The annual gross remuneration will approximately be between USD 18,000 and USD 24,500, depending on skills, location, and experience.
The position includes the following benefits:
- 4 weeks of holiday leave
- 10 days sick and carer’s leave (with additional 5 days in case of COVID-19)
- 11 days public holiday leave
- 5 days bereavement leave
- 18 weeks parental leave
- 8 weeks paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal and professional development allowance
Visa assistance may be provided by EngageMedia as needed, upon approval of management.
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the Internet, and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers to challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
For more information, get to know the EngageMedia team and read about our remote and distributed work practices.
The deadline for applications is on Sunday, August 1, 2021, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7). Please fill out the form below to apply.