Join the EngageMedia team!
Our dynamic Asia-Pacific nonprofit is hiring a Digital Rights Program Manager who works closely with the Executive Director to oversee EngageMedia’s Digital Rights initiatives in the Asia-Pacific. The position oversees programmatic planning, designs strategies and activities, manages staff and consultants, builds and strengthens networks and partnerships, contributes to fundraising, and works directly on projects as needed.
The position also assists EngageMedia’s management team, contributing to organisation level strategy and team effectiveness.
We are seeking candidates who align with our organisational goals of human rights, democracy, and the environment, and who have a background working with nonprofits. Extensive experience in working remotely and in multicultural settings is a big plus.
The position is full-time and open to anyone based in the Asia-Pacific. You’ll be working with an international team in an agile environment that prioritises a distributed work culture.
Applications are now closed.
Key Position Aims
- Raise the capacity of EngageMedia staff and our networks to engage with digital rights issues and challenges across the Asia-Pacific
- Facilitate connections among regional civil society, activists, policymakers, journalists, and other changemakers working on digital rights issues
- Lead EngageMedia’s policy development and advocacy efforts in digital rights
- Build the reach and the impact of EngageMedia’s digital rights program and projects
Program and Project Management
- Lead EngageMedia’s Digital Rights program, overseeing strategy and program design.
- Oversee the Digital Rights program team; monitoring, evaluating and supporting project implementation.
- Provide oversight and direction to program staff.
- Contribute to the leadership and coordination of digital rights networks, fostering communication and collaborations.
- Contribute to and at times oversee research initiatives.
- Directly undertake project management.
- Monitor and track project budgets.
- Develop work plans and timelines and ensure they are followed.
- Review and approve invoices and reimbursements of program staff and consultants, and authorise project spending.
- Oversee the development of contracts and MoUs with staff, partners and consultants.
- Contribute to program reports for the board.
Organisational Development and Fundraising
- Work closely with the Executive Director to design fundraising proposals and write reports.
- Contribute to EngageMedia’s broader management and planning.
- Produce budgets for fundraising and program activities.
- Develop and manage funder relationships.
- Seek out and manage consulting opportunities. Directly implement contracted activities as needed.
Policy Development and Advocacy
- Craft and deliver key messages to target audiences.
- Lead the mapping of digital rights stakeholders in the region.
- Engage with diverse groups of stakeholders, including, but not limited to, civil society groups and actors, activists, journalists and media practitioners, researchers, advocacy groups, government administrators, and elected officials.
- Lead research efforts to inform EngageMedia’s policy positions and directions.
- Draft policy documents, e.g., memos, factsheets, reports, and, in collaboration with the Communications team, develop them into effective advocacy resources.
- Actively represent EngageMedia in relevant forums and meetings.
- Lead special undertakings, including external advocacy events on digital rights.
Partnerships, Outreach and Networking
- Work closely with the communications team to develop and implement outreach and engagement strategies.
- Produce media products to effectively communicate digital rights issues.
- Work with the communications team to run digital rights campaigns, employing a range of creative media.
- Maintain and develop partnerships with a range of organisations, individuals, networks and foundations.
- Represent EngageMedia in digital rights networks and forums.
- Oversee planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of digital security and digital rights trainings, coordinating staff and contractors as necessary.
- Create and maintain curriculum and materials for digital security and digital rights trainings.
- Where necessary provide event or training facilitation.
- Actively build the digital rights and digital security knowledge and capacity of the EngageMedia team.
- Provide advice on EngageMedia’s technology architecture and infrastructure.
- Assist staff with their technology and digital security capacity development and assist with coordinating solutions.
- Assist with technical oversight and testing of some website sites.
- Assist with occasional design advice and site fixes.
- Manage consultants as needed for any related technical initiatives.
- Excellent management and leadership skills and experience
- Minimum 5 years experience working in technology, digital rights, or a related field
- Content knowledge in digital rights and open and secure technology issues in the Asia-Pacific
- A strong background in policy
- Strong English communication skills (written and spoken)
- Strong regional networks
- Familiarity working with multicultural and decentralised teams in virtual workspaces
- A proactive and growth mindset
- Research skills and/or the ability to manage research projects
- High-level organisational, interpersonal, and motivational skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, willingness to learn new things, build expertise, and develop new approaches
- Ability to take on a variety of deadline-driven tasks with limited supervision
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12-month, full-time, contract will be offered, with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
The annual gross remuneration will approximately be between 35,000 and 44,000 USD, depending on skills, location, and experience.
The position includes the following benefits:
- 4 weeks of holiday leave
- 10 days sick and carer’s leave (with additional 5 days in case of COVID-19)
- 11 days public holiday leave
- 5 days bereavement leave
- 18 weeks parental leave
- 9 weeks paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal and professional development allowance
Visa assistance may be provided by EngageMedia as needed, upon approval of management.
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the Internet, and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers to challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
For more information, get to know the EngageMedia team and read about our remote and distributed work practices.
Applications are now closed.