Join the EngageMedia team!
Our dynamic Asia-Pacific nonprofit is hiring a Communications Specialist who will work closely with EngageMedia’s Impact and Engagement (I&E) team to develop and curate content, support advocacy campaigns, build audiences, and create social impact.
As part of the I&E team, the role will focus on day-to-day creation, publication, and promotion of content on EngageMedia platforms, including articles, research, podcasts, videos, and social media for a range of projects. They will also aid in the management of communications tasks, and work to increase EngageMedia’s public profile in the Asia-Pacific by pursuing content partnerships and media publishing opportunities. The role has a strong focus on writing, editing, and outreach, with a good capacity to understand and communicate digital rights issues to various audiences.
We are seeking candidates who align with our organisational goals of human rights, democracy, and the environment, and who have a background working with nonprofits. Extensive experience in working remotely and in multicultural settings is a big plus.
The position is full-time and open to anyone based in the Asia-Pacific. You’ll be working with an international team in an agile environment that prioritises a distributed work culture.
Deadline for applications is on Tuesday, 1 June 2021, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7). Interested applicants may apply using the form below.
Key Position Aims
- Conceptualise, produce, and revise content to support EngageMedia’s communications, advocacy, and campaign initiatives.
- Support outreach, engagement, media advocacy, and research efforts.
- Implement social and mainstream media engagement plans.
- Build and strengthen content collaborations and partnerships between journalism, human rights, digital, open technology, and digital rights actors.
Content Production and Research Writing
- Produce, curate, edit, and publish regular blogs and articles from EngageMedia’s team and its networks.
- Revise, edit, and proofread other materials by EngageMedia and its networks.
- Support the writing needs of podcasts, videos, and other productions.
- Enhance the online presence of EngageMedia’s various networks and platforms, ensuring they are active spaces for engagement on their respective issues.
Engagement and Impact
- Provide support and, at times, lead communications campaigns for EngageMedia projects by highlighting important work and assisting with distribution and engagement of related media.
- Support targeted outreach and engagement activities to mainstream media, policy advocates, campaigners, social movements, and civil society.
- Implement social media outreach and engagement strategies, including experimenting with a variety of non-corporate promotion and engagement platforms.
- Boost EngageMedia’s profile among Asia-Pacific media outlets and social media.
- Improve content promotion and co-creation by fostering relations and developing partnerships with campaigners, video activists, journalists, technologists, non-profit organisations, and mainstream media outlets.
- Attend and conduct media and communication workshops on an ad-hoc basis.
- Contribute to the editorial management of EngageMedia and its various networks to effectively communicate and engage audiences with their work.
- Update, improve, and contribute to the EngageMedia contacts database.
- Enforce and contribute to the development of communications playbook, branding and style guidelines, and the organisation’s other quality standards.
- Proofread written English materials prior to publication, including providing ad-hoc support for other EngageMedia projects.
- Mentor and support staff to be more effective in their writing, outreach, and engagement efforts.
- Document what we are learning via short reports and blogging.
- Professional-level English writing and editing abilities
- Working proficiency in at least one Asia-Pacific language
- Excellent communications skills, including in speaking, presenting, and public relations
- Strong background in advocacy campaigning
- Expertise in using media and technology for creating social change
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field of journalism and/or communications for advocacy
- Familiarity working in virtual workplaces with decentralised teams
- Possesses a proactive and growth mindset
- High-level organisational, interpersonal, and motivational skills
- Knowledge of issues on digital rights and freedom of expression issues
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, willingness to learn new things, build expertise, and develop new approaches
- Ability to take on a variety of deadline-driven tasks with limited supervision
- Some experience with audio/video production and distribution
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12-month, full-time, contract will be offered, with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
The annual gross remuneration will approximately be between 18,270 to 23,500 USD, depending on skills, location, and experience.
The position includes the following benefits:
- 4 weeks of holiday leave
- Sick and carer’s leave
- Public holiday leave
- Bereavement leave
- Parental leave
- Long service leave
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal development allowance
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the Internet, and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers to challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
For more information, get to know the EngageMedia team and read about our remote and distributed work practices.
Please fill out the application form below by Tuesday, 1 June 2021, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7).