Edited on 16 December 2020
EngageMedia is seeking a research consultant to produce a snapshot of key digital rights issues, policies, and civil society actors and networks in Indonesia.
The research aims to help EngageMedia better support digital rights actors and advocacy in the country.
Questions we are seeking to explore include:
- Who are the key digital rights actors in Indonesia?
- What are the current key digital rights issues in the country (e.g., laws, policies, practices)?
- Which activities, policies, or other actions have produced significant change? Which have not? Why/why not?
- What do digital rights actors need to increase the impact of their digital rights advocacy?
- Who do digital rights actors interact with in their work (e.g. other CSOs, private, gov, media)?
- What networks or coalitions have existed or exist now? How have they been successful or fallen short?
The consultancy starts as soon as possible, and will run for 3 months on a part- or flexi-time basis.
The total budget for this research is USD 6,000-8,000. We are accepting applications from both individual consultants and research groups.
Applications are being considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please use the application form at the bottom of this page.
- Research ideation and conception
- Creation of methodology and sampling framework
- Data collection and analysis, including desk research, interviews, and survey responses
- Research concept and methodology, including interview and survey questions
- Survey responses (±100) and interview transcriptions (at least 20 interviews)
- A report of 15-30 pages, submitted in Indonesian or English (translation and layout will be provided by EngageMedia)
- A 2-page summary of recommendations
A list of digital rights CSOs, staff, and issues included in the report
- Strong writing and analytical skills, evidenced by published written papers
- High attention to detail
- Fluency in English and Indonesian
The total budget for this research is USD 6,000-8,000. The consultancy starts as soon as possible, and will run for 3 months on a part- or flexi-time basis.
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the Internet, and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers to challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
Our key activity areas are video for change, open and secure technology, and digital rights.
For more information, get to know the EngageMedia team and read about our remote and distributed work practices.
Please fill in the application form below. Applications are being considered on a rolling basis.
Should you have any questions related to the role, please contact our Digital Rights Program Manager Kathleen Azali.
2 thoughts on “[CLOSED] Job Opportunity: Digital Rights Research Consultant (Indonesia)”
Pingback: EngageMedia Job Vacancy: Digital Rights Research Consultant, Jakarta - Indonesia - Kerja NGO
I am writing to apply as a Digital Right Research Consultant in your organization. I have completed my bachelor degree from International Relations, Padjajaran University Bandung and my Master Degree in International Peace Studies from United Nations Mandated University for Peace, Costa Rica. As a graduate from International Relations, I have acquainted myself with a range of knowledge that supports my academic understanding of politics, public policy, democracy, human right, and governance that support me to understand the field in this position.
I am excited at the opportunity to work in your organization because it shares the core values in promoting democracy so that I can get the opportunity to expand my networking, skill, and knowledge which are in line with my passion and expertise. I have the experience to work in the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Bangladesh accredited to Nepal as Staff of Consular and Political Affairs from 2015-2019. During working in Embassy, I assisted the head of political affairs department to conduct some research regarding the political situation in Bangladesh and Nepal including the election and other democracy issues. Besides, I also assisted in administrative affairs which related to political affairs program.
I also have acquired work experience in humanitarian organization, Caritas Indonesia where I was also involved in several project affairs as an administrative officer from 2014-2015. I also have the experience to work as a Junior Program Officer in Helen Keller International from 2012-2013 in advocacy where my role assisting the advocacy program to the policy for inclusive education in West Java and doing some administrative affairs including program budgeting.
From my working experience I have obtained some skills such as administrative, analytical skill, management, communication and language skill, and writing skill which I think will be an advantageous asset for this position. I strongly believe that my motivation, past experience, and my skills will be a valuable capital of me to contribute in democracy if I will be accepted in your organization. I hope that my qualification will meet your consideration. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Lorensia Berlian Br Brahmana