24 Aug [CLOSED] Job Opportunity: Digital Rights Project Officer (Indonesia)
Join the EngageMedia team!
Our dynamic Asia-Pacific non-profit is seeking a Project Officer who will support the implementation of EngageMedia’s digital rights initiatives in Indonesia, working closely with the program team to support coordination and logistics, community management, communications and outreach, and monitoring and reporting.
We are seeking candidates who are aligned with our organisation’s wider goals towards social and environmental justice, and who have experience in working with not-for-profits. Extensive experience in working remotely and in multi-cultural settings is also a plus.
The position is full-time and open to anyone based in Indonesia. You’ll be working with an international team in an agile environment that prioritises a distributed work culture.
Applications should be submitted by Wednesday, 9 September 2020, 23:59 Jakarta time (UTC+7), using the application form at the bottom of this page.
Key Position Aims:
- Increase civil society engagement with, and understanding of, digital rights and freedom of expression issues
- Increase the capacity of digital rights actors in Indonesian to collaborate and share knowledge
- Initiate and develop collaboration among digital rights actors in Indonesia
- Expand the profile of digital rights issues in Indonesia
- Increase engagement between digital rights advocates and journalists, lawyers, researchers, film-makers and human rights advocates
- Support and, at times, lead the coordination of projects
- Support and, at times, lead the organisation of meetings, trainings, events, film screenings, and other events
- Support the development and maintenance of partnerships with a range of individuals and organisations
- Support in monitoring project implementation, including but not limited to collecting documentation and data for evaluation and reporting
- Support the development of workplans and timelines, and ensure they are followed
- Support and, at times, lead community management; communicating pro-actively with our communities through a variety of channels
- Maintain and file documentation in an organised and efficient manner
Research, Documentation, and Reporting
- Support research initiatives including collating resource materials and references
- Ensure timely and proper documentation of events, including photos, videos, presentations, and written notes
- Assist in monitoring the activities of partners, collaborators, and networks
- Collect, compile, and file materials related to trainings and other EngageMedia initiatives
- Support the preparation of narrative reports
Communications and Outreach
- Assist with social media outreach and engagement
- Assist in securing content for EngageMedia.org and other relevant platforms
- Represent EngageMedia in digital rights networks and forums
- Support the Impact & Engagement team in their program outreach efforts
- Record and document tasks in an efficient manner, ensuring accurate and timely communication with Management and EngageMedia staff
- Bring your passions and creative interests to the organisation, and assist us in evolving the organisational culture, our expertise, and our knowledge
- Communicate respectfully and courteously with other members of EngageMedia at all times, ensuring you listen to, are understanding of, and receptive to other people’s opinions
- Ensure all work is conducted and delivered according to the processes, standards, technical and management system, and deadlines required by EngageMedia
- Perform other tasks as requested by Management that relate to the position aims
- Contribute to a productive and well-managed working environment for all staff and consultants
- Strong knowledge in digital rights, technology, human rights, and freedom of expression issues
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Strong project management skills
- Strong time management and able to take on a variety of deadline-driven tasks with limited supervision
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to learn and build expertise
- Ability to work with a diverse team across multiple cultures, geographies, and time-zones
- Minimum 3 years experience in the media, technology, or digital rights field
- An understanding of and commitment to the EngageMedia’s aims and workplace values.
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12 month, full-time contract will be offered with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
The position includes the following benefits:
- Vacation leave
- Sick and carers leave
- Public holiday leave
- Bereavement leave
- Parental leave
- Long service leave
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal development allowance
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the internet and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
EngageMedia works with independent film-makers, video activists, technologists, campaigners and social movements to generate wider audiences for their vital messages, and move people to action.
Please fill in the application form below. Applications close on Wednesday, 9 September 2020, 23:59 Jakarta time (UTC+7).