Yes, you heard it right!
Due to the success of COCONET (Southeast Asia Digital Rights Camp) in Yogyakarta in 2017 and demands from the digital rights community in the region, we are organising Camp COCONET 2 in the second half of 2019!
As we do not consider COCONET as a one-time event but an ever-engaging community, we are hoping to mobilise the energies of the digital rights community in the region in shaping the second Camp.
In the past few months, we have conducted a series of consultations and discussions on the pertinent digital rights, social justice, movement-building and advocacy issues in the region. Last September, we organised a co-design meeting with our co-organiser, the Association for Progressive Communications (APC), and our partners–the Southeast Asian Press Alliance (SEAPA), c2o library & collabtive (Indonesia), Empower (Malaysia), Human Rights Information and Documentation Systems International (HURIDOCS), MyanmarICT for Development Organisation (MIDO)), Open Culture Foundation (Taiwan), and the Thai Netizen Network , to lay the groundwork in ensuring that COCONET 2 will be more apt and responsive to the current and evolving needs of the community in the region.
For COCONET 2, while we always aspire to achieve more, we will be working towards these goals:
- Strengthening the digital rights community in Southeast Asia (SEA)
- Creating opportunities and building capacity for regional advocacy in Southeast Asia on digital rights
- Mainstreaming digital rights in the region
- Promoting understanding and integration between human rights and digital rights groups
- Strengthening the use and development of open technology in civil society
Here is the COCONET 2017 public report (PDF 6MB) to show you what happened in the first COCONET event and some of the outcomes achieved.