UPDATE: The workshop has been postponed until 2nd September.
Markos Gogoulos of Unweb.me (major developers of Plumi for the last few years) will lead this workshop designed to bring programmers up to speed with the current state of the Plumi app, facilitated by Anna Helme of EngageMedia, who has project managed the development of Plumi since its inception. This is a unique chance to boost your Plumi skills, whether you are fairly new to the project or you have been using Plumi for some time. Markos will lead us through the Plumi app covering tips on setting up, maintaining and troubleshooting a Plumi site that has emerged from years of experience. The second half of the workshop will focus on Plumi theming – how to customise the default Plumi skin and how to create your own using Diazo. Markos will also take questions that pertain to your own use case for the software. The workshop will be held online via Skype. Places are strictly limited – please apply below. Date & Time: Tuesday 2nd September 2014 at 07:00:00 UTC (GMT) Cost: $175 USD Payment:
Applications: Please use the application form at the bottom of this page.
Part 1 – Intro to Plumi (1.5 hours)
We will give a brief summary of the Plumi project and its development history, and talk through the blog, tracker, code repositories and Plumi manual. We will then outline the current development priorities for our upcoming milestone. Markos will describe the architecture and design of the Plumi app and its major components. Participants will install a testing site for the purposes of the workshop (locally or on a Debian server provided by the participant). We will show how to easily restart services, describe how to create a basic monitoring setup, outline basic Plumi maintenance tasks and troubleshooting advice. Finally, we will gather any critical overall feedback from participants on the Plumi package as it stands.
Part 2 – Intro to Plumi Theming (1.5 hours)
In this next part of the workshop, each participant will learn how to make simple changes to the HTML/CSS/JS front-end of the default Plumi skin. Subsequently, Markos will take us through the process of creating a new Diazo skin which can be used to fully customise the layout of a Plumi site.
Plumi Future Development Discussion (0.5 hours)
We will finish the workshop with any questions relating to participants use cases for Plumi, and touch on these topics relating to Plumi future development.
- Plone upgrades… looking to Plone 5?
- implementing video hosted on external services e.g. YouTube, Vimeo
- mobile device support – what improvements required for adaptive layout?
- usage of non-standard wsgi
- long term upgrade to dexterity content types
- integration of Plumi API as video component on other web platforms/services (particularly NGO)
- refactor build to use system components (not from source)?
- consider current forms of deployment such as Docker
- secure Plumi – hidden mirror architecture to plan against server takedowns (point of difference, useful security practice)
- Forum for Support – http://www.clearfoundation.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,232/ ?