EngageMedia has recently announced the release of Plumi 0.2, the free software video sharing platform. Plumi enables you to create a sophisticated video sharing and community site out-of-the-box. In a web landscape where almost all video sharing sites keep their distribution platform under lock and key Plumi is one contribution to creating a truly democratic media.
Plumi 0.2 includes major enhancements to site speed and reduced server load, a new design and features such as tagging and call outs.
More specifically the improvements include….
We’ve added a new content type: “Call Outs” to help people looking for content for a DVD compilation, screenings, film festival or crew for a production. e.g. https://engagemedia.org/recent_callouts
The addition of qPloneComments adds email notification if someone comments on a video or responds to comment and allows fine-grained administration of commenting. A comments portlet is also added to the front page.
We’ve improved the vodcasting performance using a catalogue based RSS2 feed view implementation, meaning RSS2 feeds load much faster.
Tagging is now based on the Vaporisation product resulting in much faster page loads and navigation of content.
eg. https://engagemedia.org/tagcloud/view | http://plone.org/products/vaporisation/
PERFORMANCE AND TEMPLATE ENHANCEMENTS
– templates are refactored into a new ‘Five’ style view implementation that is Plone3 ready resulting in faster page loads
– video listings no longer wake the objects from the zope database (ZODB) improving catalogue searching and speed
– Plumi 0.2 runs now on Plone 2.5.5 (Plone 3 coming soon)
– a new design cleaner design – thanks Trollfot!
To download Plumi go to http://plone.org/products/plumi/releases/0.2-final
For more specific details of changes see the changelog
A demo site with the improvements can be found here: http://demo.plumi.org
For a full list of features see http://blog.plumi.org/features/
NEW PLUMI SITES
A number of organisations have implemented Plumi in the previous few months. These include…
– World Social Forum TV – http://wsftv.net
– CabTube – http://cabtube.cab.unipd.it/
– Africa on TV – http://www.africaontv.com/
– Contents Portal Shikoku – http://archive.ict-tokushima.jp/plumi/
Plumi 0.3 will include BitTorrent functionality, user side enhancements to video pages, Transmission metadata standard, improved video transcoding and more. Upgrading to Plone 3 will be happening in the coming months also.